Article I: Name
Section 1- The name of this organization shall be the Correctional Education Association (CEA) with contact information available on the official CEA website.
Section 2- CEA represents professionals working in the field of correctional education and other related disciplines related.
Section 3-Correctional Education is defined as education and/or training in any field which provides skills to assist in the rehabilitation of incarcerated, formerly incarcerated, and at-risk persons.
Section 4– The official spokesperson for CEA is the CEA President.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of this organization shall be:
- to support and assist the professional growth of correctional educators.
- to assist in the development, establishment, and provision of correctional education.
- to expand cooperative relations with related professional organizations and agencies.
- to support research in the field of correctional education.
- to act as an advocate and promote excellence in correctional education.
- to enhance the efforts of the total criminal justice system through affiliation with professional organizations.
Article III: Membership/Subscription
Section 1– Membership shall be available to all persons and institutions interested in correctional education, who subscribe to this constitution and maintain current dues.
Section 2– No applicant shall be denied membership or the right to hold office because of creed, ethnic origin, race, sex, or disability.
Section 3– Upon expiration of their term, Presidents become lifetime members.
Section 4 -Membership Categories
- Individual Membership/Subscription
- Institutional/Library Subscription
Article IV: Executive Board
Elected Officers/Executive Committee
- Vice President
- President-elect or Immediate Past President
Additional Voting Members
- Regional Directors
- International Representative (Appointed)
- Juvenile Justice Representative (current Juvenile State Director)
- Council of Directors Representative (current State Director)
- Standards Commission Chairperson
Article V: Council of Directors of Correctional Education
The Council of Directors of Correctional Education shall be a permanent council with the specific purpose of providing a formal structure by which the Directors may express concerns, desires, and interests to the CEA Executive Board. The CEA Executive Board has oversight of the Council.
Article VI: Executive Director
The Executive Board may employ an Executive Director
Article VII: Elections
Elections of CEA officers will be conducted annually.
Article VIII: Regions
Section 1-CEA shall be divided into geographical regions.
Section 2– State/Province Chapter organizations shall be subject to Regional and National Executive Board approval. A constitution and/or bylaws which do not conflict with the CEA constitution is required.
Article IX: Meetings
Section 1- The Association shall hold an annual membership meeting at the time and place of the annual CEA Conference.
Section 2– The Executive Board shall meet at least twice per fiscal year (federal).
Section 3- The Council of Directors of Correctional Education shall meet at least twice per fiscal year.
Section 4 – The Standards Commission shall meet at least twice per fiscal year.
Section 5- Robert’s Rules of Order shall control the conduct of all meetings.
Article X: Financial Governance
- The Executive Board shall approve an annual budget no later than October 1.
- The Executive Board shall receive quarterly financial reports from the Treasurer.
- CEA accounts shall be reviewed annually by a Certified Public Accountant independent of CEA membership.
- The CEA Treasurer shall publish a financial statement annually.
- The President, Executive Director, and the Treasurer must be bonded.
Article XI: Publications
CEA shall provide access to research and publications, which examine current events and issues in the field of correctional education.
Article XII: Standing Committees
- Conference Site Selection Committee
- Membership/Public Relations Committee
- Fiscal Committee
- Awards and Scholarship Committee
- Long Range/Strategic Planning Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- Policy and Procedures Committee
- Technology Committee
- Juvenile Justice Committee
Temporary ad hoc committees can be created by the President or Executive Board, as needed.
Article XIII: Standards Commission
The CEA Standards Commission provides standards to improve and evaluate the quality of correctional education programs and grants accreditation.
Article XIV Amendments
Proposed amendments shall be submitted to the Executive Board and if approved by a two-thirds majority, the proposed amendments shall be submitted to the full membership for a vote. If approved by most of members casting ballots, amendments take effect at the annual membership meeting.