Article I: Name
Section 1- The name of this organization will be the Correctional Education Association (CEA) with official contact information being available on the official CEA website.
Section 2- CEA represents professionals who work in the field of correctional education and other disciplines related to it.
Section 3-Correctional Education is defined as education and/or training in any field which provides skills to assist in the rehabilitation of offenders, ex-offenders and at-risk individuals.
Section 4- The official spokesperson for CEA is the President.
Article II: Purpose
The purpose of this organization will be:
- To support and assist the professional growth of correctional educators;
- To assist in the development, establishment, and provision of correctional education;
- To expand cooperative relations with related professional organizations and agencies;
- To support research in the field of correctional education;
- To act as an advocate for, and to promote excellence in correctional education, and;
- To enhance the efforts of the total criminal justice system through affiliation with professional organizations.
Article III: Membership/Subscription
Section 1- Membership will be available to all persons and institutions interested in correctional education, who subscribe to this constitution and maintain current dues.
Section 2- No applicant will be denied membership or the right to hold office because of creed, ethnic origin, race, sex, or disability.
Section 3- All Presidents, upon expiration of their term, become life members.
Section 4 -Membership Categories
- Individual Membership/Subscription
- Institutional/Library Subscription
- Free Subscription
Article IV: Executive Board
- Elected Officers/Executive Committee
- Vice President
- Immediate Past President
- Executive Board - Additional Voting Members
- Regional Directors
- International Representative (Appointed)
- Juvenile Justice Representative (Appointed)
- Council of Directors' Representative
Article V: Council of Directors of Correctional Education
The Council of Directors of Correctional Education will be a permanent council with the specific purpose of providing a formal structure by which the directors may express their concerns, desires, and interests to the CEA Executive Board
Article VI: Executive Director
The Executive Board may employ an Executive Director
Article VII: Elections
Elections of CEA officers will be conducted annually.
Article VIII: Regions
Section 1-CEA will be divided into geographical regions.
Section 2- State/Province Chapter Organizations
Organization of a state/province chapter will be subject to Regional and National Executive Boards' approval and requires a constitution and/or bylaws which do not conflict with the constitution of CEA
Article IX: Meetings
Section 1- The Association will hold an annual membership meeting at the time and place of the annual CEA Conference.
Section 2- The Executive Board will meet at least twice per fiscal year.
Section 3- The Council of Directors of Correctional Education will meet at least twice per fiscal year.
Section 4- Robert’s Rules of Order will control the conduct of all meetings.
Article X: Financial Governance
- The Executive Board will approve an annual budget no later than October 1.
- The Executive Board will receive quarterly financial reports from the Treasurer.
- CEA accounts will be reviewed annually by a Certified Public Accountant independent of CEA membership.
- A CEA financial statement will be published annually.
- The President, Executive Director, and the Treasurer must be bonded.
Article XI: Publications
CEA will provide access to research and publications, which examine current events and issues in the field of correctional education.
Article XII: Standing Committees
Section 1-The Standing Committees are:
- Nominations and Elections Committee
- Conference Site Selection Committee
- Membership/Public Relations Committee
- Fiscal Committee
- Publications Committee
- Awards and Scholarship Committee
- Long Range/Strategic Planning Committee
- Professional Development Committee
- Policy and Procedures Committee
- Technology Committee
- Juvenile Justice Committee
Temporary ad hoc committees can be created by the Executive Board, as needed.
Article XIII: Standards Commission
The CEA Standards Commission provides standards to improve and evaluate the quality of correctional education programs and grants accreditation.
Article XIV Amendments
Proposed amendments shall be submitted to the Executive Board and if approved by a two-thirds majority, the proposed amendments will be submitted to the full membership for vote. If approved by the majority of members casting ballots, amendments take effect at the annual membership meeting.